Friday, 2 January 2015

Turning 28!



I was not expecting anything special on the actual day of my birthday – Chris and I had been in Rome together the weekend before for a joint birthday celebration, so as we had already celebrated, I didn’t have any expectations for the actual day.

However,  the whole day was full of one wonderful thing after the next! I took some brownies to work to celebrate with my colleagues, and then I had lunch with a sweet friend. After we had finished eating she told me we were going to have a “birthday moment”, and she asked me to close my eyes while she put out a piece of homemade apple tart, complete with a candle, and then proceeded to sing me happy birthday in the cafeteria. On returning to my office my 3 office mates also broke out in song and gave me a gift – chocolate and a very cute travel pillow- clearly they know me well! And of course throughout the day I received many phone calls, facebook messages and text  messages – I definitely felt the birthday love!

Chris had told me that we were going to have dinner on Wednesday night, and that I should be ready at 7:45pm. Little did I know! He came to fetch me and then blindfolded me (sneaky!) and took me to a good friend’s house where a group of my closest friends were waiting for me as a surprise. I had not suspected a thing, and I was so touched to see them all there. Chris had organized some champagne and made me a cake (yes, that is right – a handmade birthday cake!!) complete with a “happy birthday Claire” in icing – it was delicious. Just when I thought the evening could not get any better, he told me that there was one more surprise.

A few months ago, Chris started getting in contact with my family and friends to ask them to record a birthday message for me. He then compiled them all together (with some creative help from my sister Nicola) in a 10 minute video that really touched my heart. I am very relational in nature, and I invest a lot in my relationships, and I was so blessed by Chris’ thoughtfulness in putting the video together and by all the kind words. This is something I will treasure.

Needless to say I went to bed with a heart bubbling over with gratitude for the wonderful people I share my life. I count myself so blessed to have such outstanding people in my circle!






No comments:

Post a Comment