Monday, 15 October 2012

The French Life

This weekend was just what I needed - a weekend of rest and friendship. The last couple of weeks have been a little tough so I am so grateful to have had a couple of days of rest! 

I have been in Toulouse, France visiting some good friends and they have made the weekend so wonderful. They have been incredibly hospitable, generous and warm hosts who have taken such good care of me. It has been such a blessing to have so many wonderful meals made for me, especially after feeling a little low these last couple of days. There is something special about enjoying community with dear friends who understand the expat life! 
Toulouse is in the southwest of France, and is the 4th biggest city in France. Toulouse is the home of the aerospace industry in Europe, and the Toulouse Space Centre is the largest space centre in Europe (I didn't visit it this time - I now have a reason to go back!). Toulouse has also one of the oldest places dedicated to the photography in the world (Galerie du Château d'eau), the most ancient literary institution of the western world (Académie des Jeux floraux). Toulouse also has part of the 240km Canal du Midi running through it.

I decided to take Friday and Monday off to make the most of the weekend. On Friday afternoon Kate and I decided to get some groceries before making dinner and heading out to watch Andy play the first volleyball game of the season, which they won! 

Saturday morning we slept in, and then went to visit the market in Toulouse. I'm telling you, the markets may be one of my favorite things about European living! We went for a walk through the town and had some pastries (when in France!) and then sat and people-watched for a while! We decided to visit the Basilica of St. Sernin and arrived during organ and choir practice. What a treat! We stayed and listened for a while - mesmerized in this old building. This Basilica is the largest romanesque church in Europe,  built between 1080 and 1120 and is a UNESCO world heritage site.  This was followed by a visit to Capitole de Toulouse (the old town square) for a cup of coffee in the sun! 
Photo by Kate Hein

Photo by Andy Hein

Wild mushrooms!

Vibrant berries

Would a trip to France be complete without a visit to a patissier?

The Basilica

Capitol

Andy had practice in the afternoon, so Kate and I took Harry (their dog) and lay in the sun in the park for hours reading. Saturday night involved Mexican food, wine, pistachio Magnums and a movie - need I say more! 

Sunday brought more relaxation - breakfast made my Andy, a visit to the Toulouse International Church, pizza for lunch, a run in the rain, and an afternoon of chilling out! We ended the day with delicious dinner with pancakes and Nutella for dessert - Yum!! 

Thanks Kate and Andy for a superb weekend - Hotel Hein gets 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful weekend! I enjoyed seeing all of your pictures. :-). Love you!

    ReplyDelete