Saturday, 12 May 2012

Life in Academia

So after being a full time PhD student for almost 5 months, I thought it may be time to share some initial observations I have had of life in academia and research.

I find the concept of being paid to be a student quite interesting actually. In some ways, it is like having a normal job - I get paid, I am expected to work certain hours, work as part of a team and collaborate with others, and produce an output - which in my case is a PhD thesis and as many scientific papers as possible. In other ways,  my job doesn't feel like a normal job at all (granted, this comparison is based on my one year of corporate consulting experience) - there are no demanding clients, many less e-mail messages in my inbox, and less demands on my time. And yet, I have a lot to do. Goals to work towards and things that must be finished. I suppose the two biggest differences are the independent nature of my work and the longer time-frame of completion. It is quite strange to think that the article I read yesterday may in some way contribute to the final product in 3 years time (I hope!)

Considering I am a full time student, one that is paid to learn and try new things, to ask questions and explore (which by the way I really enjoy), you may want to know what I have come to learn in the last 5 months:

Image from PhD Comics
  • Research takes patience and the courage to try again the next day - very seldom is anything "right" the first time and much needs to be redone - papers rewritten and analyses rerun. 
  • Flexible work hours are both a blessing and a challenge - when utilized well this benefit results in productivity, maximized use of time and increased enjoyment of both work and personal time. When misused, flexibile work hours result in decreased productivity, lack of focus and apathy. I hope I am increasing my skill to use flexible work hours to my advantage!
  • I have had to learn how to work as a researcher - I thrive in an environment with many demands and tasks that allow me to "chunk" my time and finish things quickly. Research doesn't work this way! I am beginning to learn how to set smaller goals along the way and focus on a set of tasks for each day/week, knowing that accomplishing those tasks take me forward in achieving the overall goal. This also brings motivation and energy - both vital components for success at any task. 
  • Age is an interesting concept in the academic world and age differences seem to disappear. Most of the PhD students at LIVES (the institute where I work) are older than me - averaging around late 20's with many in their early-mid 30's. Maybe because of funding opportunities and the fact that we get paid, PhD students are able to make a career out of being a student? Maybe it is because it is a nice life? Who knows, either way, I find it interesting!
  • One of the most satisfying feelings is knowing that at the start of the day, I didn't know something - whether it be a concept, theory or statistical technique - and by the end of the day, I know at least something about it!
  • Research requires a curious mind, intrinsic motivation and being OK with not having the answers and not having it all figured out... 
  • Research requires coffee, snacks, talks in the kitchen at work and exercise to clear my head!
  • Even very experienced and knowledgeable professors and researchers make mistakes and often don't know how to do things.
  • PhD comics are a source of stress relief.
  • When you feel like you are going around in circles in your head - talk to someone. This is generally a way to bring increased clarity - not solutions - but clarity and improved focus. You should try it some time. 
  • Statistics and the accompanying software programs are not THAT bad!
  • Overall - I really enjoy what I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment