Sunday, 3 August 2014

Celebrating Friends!

After my vacation in Croatia, I took an extra day of leave to make the most of a long weekend here - so I ended up having another 2 days off (4 if I count the weekend), which I have enjoyed!

On Thursday, some good friends from church hosted a farewell apéro, and it was really nice to see the church crowd again and meet some new people. After all the rain in Lausanne, it ended up being a gorgeous day, and so we enjoyed celebrating life and friendship together overlooking beautiful Lausanne and the lake. We finished the evening on the roof and popped a bottle of champagne!

On Friday, which was Swiss National Day and a public holiday, I spent the day with another good friend who is also, sadly, leaving Lausanne. We started out with blueberry pancakes and fruit on the balcony, before moving down to the lake in Lutry with some friends for some sun and swimming.  We then decided that we wanted to BBQ by the lake and watch the fireworks (a very typical thing to do here on Swiss National Day), so we headed back into town to get some supplies before choosing another spot on the lakeside. I really do love these summer BBQs - tasty food, relaxed chatter and laughter with good friends all in a gorgeous place - what more could you want? A couple in the group stopped off in Lausanne on their way to their holiday destination, so they had rented this van which has been converted for camping - it was so fun to be driven around in this listening to a few good tunes! (and from a practical point of view, it made things so much easier - BBQs by the lake without a car require carrying a few heavy bags!)

Although the two farewells are tough, and I feel sad at the thought of more people I love leaving Lausanne, I recognize that it is a good thing to be sad -  being sad means that I have invested in these friendships and built something beautiful over the last years. I can only miss someone that is precious to me.

Saturday was a quiet day, but in the afternoon I met up again with the same friend who is leaving Lausanne for french toast and coffee on the balcony, and then joined them and some others for some drinks in town - I love the easy going nature of the summer weekend's here! Not having everything planned out (which is my default) means there is room for fun spontaneous activities!

And now, after 10 much needed days off work, it is time to head back to work tomorrow! August will be a busy month, but I am determined to live in the present and enjoy the journey. 

"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time" Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment