The 1st of July marked 18 months of life in Switzerland. Somehow 18 months feels like a significant amount of time - long enough to really settle in and be past the "honeymoon" phase. As I reflect back over the last 18 months, my most prominent feeling is one of gratitude. I sometimes can't believe all the experiences I have had, all the places I have seen, all the people I have met, all I have learnt and all I have come to discover about myself and the world. It has been a stimulating, happy, challenging and satisfying time and I can't help but be thankful.
Summer has arrived in Switzerland, and I am doing my best to enjoy it in between a full work schedule! Running, swimming, drinks with friends on the terraces of numerous cafés, picnics, barbecues, long lazy days by the lake and refreshing swims in the cold lake are part of my weekly routine. A couple of hours at the lake always leaves me feeling like I have had a mini-vacation, and in the absence of a real holiday right now, I am grateful for the times of rejuvenation. Switzerland comes alive in the summer months with many events organized that are a lot of fun to attend and experience. This past weekend we were at the Montreux Jazz Festival - on a salsa boat on the lake for the afternoon which was idyllic. This coming week we have plans to attend the Jazz Festival again, and maybe also the Lausanne Festival de la cité - a collection of free music, dance and theatrical acts in the streets of the old city of Lausanne. There is also a new Thursday night food market where restaurants offer dishes from their menus - I have visited once and plan to go again!
I have added two new activities two my life - salsa dancing and private French lessons - the one being significantly more enjoyable than the other! I thing I have missed since moving to Switzerland is dancing, and although I have enjoyed the opportunity to try some different activities, I am enjoying being able to dance again! Of course I am very much a beginner, so have lots to learn, but I am having a lot of fun. The French lessons are proving to be fruitful and I feel myself growing in competence and comfort with the language. It is still tiring, and often challenging, but I have still made good progress and I try to focus on that. I have 1.5 weeks left in Switzerland before heading to the UK for 2 weeks, and I plan on enjoying every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment