Sunday, 3 June 2012

I have seen yesterday and I love today

The start of June marks the beginning of my 6th month of living in Lausanne - I can't actually believe it. I have thought a lot about "time" recently and I find myself in an interesting position. Some days, it feels like it was  just yesterday when my sister and I arrived in Lausanne for the first time - a new city that I knew nothing about. And other days, I feel like my life in Switzerland is the only life I have ever known. This is partly a good thing because it shows me just how settled I really am and how much I love living here. But at the same time, I feel the need to be very conscious of all that has gone before, all those people and experiences that made me who I am today and all that happened to get me to today - living a rich and full life in Lausanne. I am grateful that I am growing in my ability to embrace all that has gone before and been a part of my journey - the good and the not so good.

So here are some things I have learnt in the last 5 months...
  • to enjoy my own company
  • that I should probably practice my map reading skills a bit more
  • to trust my instincts
  • that I adapt to change and uncertainty better than I thought I would
  • that waking up early = more productivity and energy 
  • taking a lunch break is a good idea
  • that healthy eating and exercise makes me a better person, but that I also enjoy crêpes, pain au chocolat, gaufres, swiss chees, movenpick and ben & jerry's ice-cream....
  • living with a grateful heart brings happiness, joy and contentment
  • attitude matters
  • learning to manage my own money is satisfying
  • groceries are heavy
  • Switzerland looks like the post-cards
  • learning French is harder than I thought it would be... but I am getting there
  • when in doubt, take an umbrella
  • it is OK to ask for help
  • good coffee is worth the effort
  • Lausanne has a population of  127 821 and is small with an area of 41.38 km-  Compare this to Johannesburg 508.69 km2   and a population of approximately 3.5million...
  • I like tea made with fresh tea leaves
  • I like taking the train
  • I like being able to walk every day and be outside
  • That I appreciate friends and family at home more than ever before...

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday, and I love today" 
William Allen White










No comments:

Post a Comment